Saturday, March 31, 2012

I am a senior graduating in May 2012 with a B.A. in Women’s Studies

I am a senior graduating in May 2012 with a B.A. in Women's Studies. In addition to this program, I minored in public health, studied abroad in Madagascar, and followed the premed track. One of the most outstanding academic experience I have had was deciding to be a women's studies major. Two courses from my major had a particularly strong impact on my life.

The first was during the Spring semester of my sophomore year and was titled Women in and Beyond The Global Prison. There were five students in my class, which was taught by the director of the Women's Studies Program. For the first time at GW, I had ample opportunity to speak as often as I wanted, to really grapple with the text, examine my peers' perspectives, and not have to fight for access to my professor during office hours. Professor Moshenberg is an active advocate and researcher for the demographic expressed in the subject matter. Through him we had access to grass-root activities, current literature, and various movement activists and leaders. He brought in several speakers, including the previously incarcerated and those who work in jails. This course made me seriously consider changing my career goal of being a neonatologist to being a physician/social worker at a prison facility.

Later, I enrolled in my senior capstone course, during the Fall 2011 semester. Similar to Women in and Beyond The Global Prison, I read 10-12 books and articles related to a variety of feminist theories and their intersectionality with politics, consumerism, the media, and health. There were five students in this class as well, and I had the same exhilarating feel to come to this class. I wanted to work through the texts, hear my professor's commentary, and engage in discussion with my peers.

Without these small class sizes and the quality of these instructors my enthusiasm for academics at GW would not be as ecstatic as it is now! 

Natasha T. Dupee
The George Washington University
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
B.A. Women's Studies, Expected 2012
Stephen Joel Trachtenberg Scholar, 2008
GW Colonial Cabinet Member, 2010
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Award Recipient, 2012
Student Coordinator, GW Center for Student Engagement
President, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, Xi Sigma Chapter
Brother, Alpha Chi Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated, Alpha Pi Chapter
Class of 2012 Representative, GW Class Council
ntdupee@gwmail.gwu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment